Energy Savings Tips
Umatilla Electric is committed to delivering power to our members at the lowest possible cost. Part of that commitment is to provide information to help you save energy and money. Check out this list of tips that can help you save.
- Lower your thermostat at night and whenever your home is unoccupied. If you consistently set your thermostat back at night 10 degrees Fahrenheit, you may reduce your heating bill by 10-20 percent. Dressing warmer and lowering the overall temperature by as little as 1 to 3 degrees when you are at home can also make a difference.
- Consider lowering the thermostat on your electric water heater to 120 (F) degrees (check your owner’s manual for recommendations). Turn it off if leaving for extended periods of time.
- Set refrigerator temperatures between 38 and 42 degrees (F); the freezer should be set between 0 and 5 degrees (F). Clean the condenser coils at least twice a year. Keep your refrigerator full; it takes more energy to cool an empty unit.
- Wash full loads of dishes and air dry.
- Wash clothes in warm or cold water, and rinse in cold; air dry where possible. Don’t over dry clothes.
- TV’s, radios, computers, and vacuum cleaners use relatively small amounts of electricity, but it adds up. Don’t leave them on when they are not in use. Many computer monitors have a sleep mode setting, which when activated, can reduce energy use.
- Use a microwave or toaster oven for smaller items. These appliances can cook small and medium items more efficiently than an oven or range top.
- Take showers rather than baths. Turn water on only as necessary when shaving or brushing your teeth to avoid wasting water. Install low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators as these can reduce the amount of water by as much as 50 percent, which means that less water has to be heated.
- Close your fireplace damper and seal the opening when not in use.
- Add or adjust weather stripping around doors and windows to stop drafts. Install foam gaskets behind electric-outlets and switch-plate covers.