Call Before You Dig
The Call Before You Dig Center will be available for request 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Locate requests received outside normal business hours will be transmitted at the start of the next business day. The 2 business day notification period will also begin at the start of that business day. Online service ticket requests are also available at www.callbeforeyoudig.org.
Dig These Facts
- The Oregon Utility Notification Center (OUNC) One-Call Center provides a free service to home owners, contractors and other excavators, informing them of any buried facilities in the area where they are planning to dig.
- To request locates for proposed excavation, you can reach the One-Call Center at 811 or 1-800-332-2344.
- Oregon law requires that anyone digging in private property or any public right of way call the One Call Center prior to digging.
- Everyone, contractor and homeowner alike, must call two business days prior to digging.
- After the call is received, the One-Call Center will notify all affected Operators. The Operators then have two business days to locate and accurately mark their underground facilities using color-coded paint.
- The One-Call Center is available 24 hours to process locate requests, and is the only resource of its kind that covers all of Oregon and many areas in surrounding states.
- The One-Call Center provides critical information that can prevent injury, damage and service disruptions caused by digging too close to underground facilities.
- A call to the One-Call Center protects the homeowner/excavator from possibly being charged thousands of dollars to repair damaged facilities in the event of a dig-in accident.
- Each incoming call generates an average of five outgoing calls to Operators of affected underground lines. This translates to over 1 million located facilities last year. Another way to look at this is that over 1 million potential accidents were prevented!
How Utility Locating Works
- Excavator pre-marks the proposed excavation site with white paint and records pertinent information.
- Excavator makes a toll-free call to the OUNC’s One-Call Center at 811 or 1-800-332-2344.
- One-Call Center operator determines boundaries of excavation area. Maps of all facilities are stored in a central computer system and they are compared to the excavation area. (All calls are voice-recorded and can be reviewed later, as necessary).
- The computer system generates and transmits the required “Request for Locate” tickets to the affected facility Operators.
- Affected facility operators receive the “Request for Locate” tickets.
- Facility Operator employees, or a contracted private locating firm, have two business days to locate and accurately mark their buried facilities in accordance with the color code adopted by the OUNC
- Excavator waits two business days to ensure all buried facilities are marked.
- Excavator may then begin digging – with care – and remember to always “Respect the Marks”.
Call Before You Dig Color Codes