Nominate a Veteran for the Trip of a Lifetime
CoBank, a national cooperative that provides financial services to Umatilla Electric, has asked UEC and other rural electric cooperatives to nominate one disabled veteran from their community for the No Barriers Warriors adventure program.
For generations, rural America has produced a disproportionate share of our armed forces. There are 22 million veterans in the United States – and 5.3 million of them live in rural communities. Of those, more than 40 percent have service-related disabilities.
CoBank is teaming with No Barriers USA to support rural veterans with disabilities by sponsoring a series of expeditions that challenge them mentally and physically. Veterans will be provided with the support they need to meet those challenges, and in the process, will learn that they are more than capable of overcoming the challenges that they face in their day-to-day lives.
The program is open to veterans from all eras and branches of service, combat and non-combat, with visible and invisible injuries – all that is required is a VA disability rating.
Up to 50 veterans nationwide will ultimately be selected to participate in the program. CoBank will cover the full cost of the program for each participant, including travel.
If you have questions or would like to be considered as a nominee from UEC, please contact Steve Meyers at email@example.com or call 541 567-6414.
Here are the program details:
- Partnership between CoBank and No Barriers Warriors
- Designed to help veterans with disabilities transform their life through curriculum-based experiences in challenging environments
- Eligible CoBank customers may nominate one disabled veteran from their community
- Up to 50 veterans will be selected for one of four five-day expeditions in 2017
- Program is open to veterans from all eras and branches of service, combat and non-combat, with visible and invisible injuries – all that is required is a VA disability rating
- No Barriers will work directly with nominees to determine interest and ability to participate
- Nominated veterans who are unable to participate in an expedition may be selected to attend the No Barriers 2017 Summit
- CoBank will cover the full cost of the program for each participant, including travel.
- Information about the No Barriers Warriors program is at http://www.nobarriersusa.org/warriors/