Fifteen students will receive $3,000 college scholarships from Umatilla Electric Cooperative for the 2022 – 2023 academic school year, for a total of $45,000.
“We are proud to offer these scholarships on behalf of the UEC membership,” said Robert Echenrode, UEC General Manager and CEO. “We are inspired by how hard our recipients have worked and what they have achieved, and we wish them the best as they pursue their goals.”
- Jose Puerta, a 2021 graduate of Riverside High School, attends Eastern Oregon University to study business administration.
- Cooper Szasz, a 2021 graduate of Riverside High School, attends Oregon State University (OSU) to study animal science and eventually become a veterinarian.
- Zulema Gaytan, a 2019 Riverside High graduate, is in the nursing program at Western Oregon University.
- Jazlyn Romero, a 2020 Hermiston High graduate, is studying marketing at OSU.
- Taylor Davis, a 2018 Irrigon graduate, is majoring in biology at OSU, preparing to work in the healthcare field.
- Trent Durfey, a 2019 Umatilla High School graduate, is studying pre-medicine at Carroll College, Helena, Mont.
- Josie Goodrich, a 2020 Hermiston High School graduate, is majoring in criminal justice and multimedia journalism at Washington State University.
- Ashley Garcia Sandoval, a 2022 Hermiston High graduate, will study computer science at Oregon State University.
- Kyle Liscom, a 2022 Pendleton High School graduate, will attend the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., to study marine and environmental science.
- Taylor Copenhaver, a 2020 Mac-Hi graduate, is studying psychology at Bushnell University in Eugene.
- Lilly Cooke, a 2022 Hermiston High School graduate, will study public health at Utah Valley University at Orem, Utah.
- Gavin Doherty, a 2022 Hermiston High School graduate, will study civil engineering at OSU.
- Ryker McDonald, a 2022 Hermiston High School graduate, will study mechanical engineering at OSU.
- Emily Wadkins, a 2020 Hermiston High graduate, is studying elementary education at Eastern Oregon University.
- In addition, UEC announced that Omar Lozano of Hermiston was selected as the recipient of the cooperative’s $3,000 Lineman College Scholarship for 2022.
In the past decade, UEC has awarded over 120 scholarships to students totaling nearly $350,000.