The Land Use Specialist is responsible for easement and permit acquisition, property procurement, and reviewing environmental documents to support the Engineering Work Plan. This position will work closely with engineers, attorneys, property owners, and local agencies to acquire right-of-way and ensure compliance with land use regulations for preparation and execution of construction work packages. This position requires attention to detail and strong interpersonal skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Negotiating and securing easements and property interests.
- Preparing, submitting, and tracking land use applications to regulatory agencies and ensuring permits are acquired and recorded in a timely manner.
- Responsible for timely development and accurate production of supporting project documents related to land use that are necessary for substation, transmission, and/or distribution construction work packages.
- Responsible for reading and interpreting Metes and Bounds descriptions in order to maintain map files, GIS layers, writing easements, and related records and databases.
- Must provide accurate maps or plats to the GIS Department in order to keep engineering data bases such as map files, GIS layers and related records up to date.
- Ensures projects are completed per regulatory agency requirements and/or obligations.
JOB DUTIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Expected to maintain knowledge of easement law, land ownership rights, title, easement descriptions and the processes involved with obtaining such.
- Responsible for measuring, recording, and calculating data based upon information collected for permits, easements, or plats.
- Expected to produce maps, diagrams, and reports as requested for field operations or UEC staff.
- Property acquisition as needed.
- Workload must have balance of volume and accuracy in all aspects of the job.
- Expected to maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology, standards and job-related information. Participates in local professional group meetings, online professional listservs, stays abreast of new trends and innovations within the industry and in related hardware/software that provide value-added benefit to the Cooperative.
- Requires self-motivation and a willingness to function as a team member with the ability to interact well with the general public and various agencies. Conducts themselves in a manner that reflects well on UEC and contributes to harmonious relations with members.
- Must uphold excellent communication skills, including: presentation, persuasion and negotiation skills required when working with members, coworkers, or outside agencies and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor