The Electric System Engineer III independently directs safe and cost-effective engineering for electric system construction and maintenance. This Engineering position will be responsible to maintain working knowledge of the UEC substations, transmission, and distribution systems, including design and equipment specifications and operating principles, preparing technical engineering studies, reports and development of construction work plans. This position will help to lead, mentor and develop lower-level engineering staff. May assume staff leadership responsibilities or administrative duties assigned by the manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include other duties as assigned
- Performs and directs activities associated with creating a construction, system improvement, or maintenance work order package for assigned significant capital projects.
- Directs electrical protection of the UEC electric system, developing technical studies such as coordination, sectionalizing, voltage, and fault studies. Assists in the planning for long-term and short-term construction work plans within the limits of required approvals and UEC policies and procedures.
- Independently provides recommendations for designs of new electric plant or improvements to existing electric plant substations, transmission or distribution lines. Prepares and presents design drawings and project details for approval as requested.
- Prepares engineering report computations, cost estimates, specifications or other engineering details as requested.
- Performs outage Tech On-Call duties on rotation; maintains current knowledge of UEC's SCADA and mapping systems.
- Independently directs project management for large construction/maintenance projects. Works regularly with consultants and contractors, providing instructions and direction for consulting project managers.
- Works closely with other departments in development of company procedures and work processes; strategic or department work plan initiatives; and RUS engineering and finance requirements for construction work plans.
- Prepares routine technical specifications; identifies material needs and issues procurement instructions for routine projects; reviews and prepares recommendations for new materials/ equipment specifications.
- Serves as lead or committee member on various company committees as directed, promoting teamwork between departments.
- Provides information and engineering assistance for prospective and/or planned generation or renewal energy projects in UEC service area.
- Prepares or coordinates with consultants in preparing technical studies such as coordination, voltage and fault studies; and assists in preparation of construction work plans.
JOB DUTIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Provides engineering guidance, calculations, analysis, studies, and recommendations for a specialized segment of engineering within schedule and budget of an assigned project.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Keeps well informed of the latest equipment, practices and procedures in the industry regarding automated electric design systems; the operating principles of power transmission and distribution equipment necessary for operation and maintenance of an electric system; and keeps current on new and improved engineering standards and practices.
- May assume staff leadership responsibilities or administrative duties assigned by manager.
- Leads, mentors and helps to develop lower level engineering staff.
- Complies with UEC policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and fosters a spirit of cooperation in the workplace.
- Conducts themselves in a manner that reflects well on UEC and contributes to harmonious relations with members and the general public.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
Job Related Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university in Electrical Engineering or related Engineering discipline.
Experience: 10+ Years of experience in electric utility or other related engineering experience including 3 years experience with complex capital project implementation.
- A valid Driver’s License is required for occasional business travel.
- An Engineer In-Training certificate is preferred for this position.
- A Professional Engineer License is preferred.