Payment Assistance

There are numerous programs that assist families with the cost of energy. Below are options that may help.

Request UCARE Energy Assistance

UCARE funds are available for the heating season of October through March and the cooling season of June through August. UCARE is supported by member contributions, which are matched by UEC.

In normal times, the UEC UCARE and HES HEAT (Hermiston Energy Assistance Team) grant programs are intended to help low-income residents manage their heating and cooling costs. Those funds are used to supplement assistance programs already provided from federal sources through CAPECO.

In times of community crisis, UCARE and HEAT funds are further made available to any residential customer in need of assistance to pay electric bills due to a personal, family, medical, or employment crisis or emergency. In 2020, these funds have been supplemented with a generous $250,000 donation from Amazon Web Services to assist residential customers facing financial hardships because of Covid-19. Call or visit us for information. View information on the AWS donation, and view the online applications below.

Request a Payment Extension

A payment extension offers you extra time to pay your electric bill, should you be experiencing financial difficulties. Please call or visit to discuss your options to pay what you can so you don’t build up a large past-due balance. You are welcome to contact us online as well.

Energy Assistance Programs in Our Area

  • LIHEAP – The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) website, an information service for state, tribal, and local LIHEAP providers, and others interested in low-income energy issues.
  • CAPECO – Community Action Program East Central Oregon’s Low-Income Energy Assistance Program provides income-eligible households a one-time payment issued to their energy vendor to help offset the high cost of energy during the heating season.
  • Salvation Army – The Salvation Army is there when you need them for help and assistance of many kinds.

For more information contact UEC at Hermiston (541) 567-6414, Boardman (541) 481-2220 or (800) 452-2273.