UEC is a rapidly growing member-owned electric cooperative located in eastern Oregon minutes from the Columbia River. Our customer loads include residential, irrigation, commercial and industrial – from agribusiness to data centers. UEC operates more than 120 miles of 115 kV transmission line and more than 1,900 miles of 12.47 kV distribution line with substations and switching stations. Hermiston is a thriving city of 18,000 residents, known for trophy hunting and fishing, its proximity to wine country, and its farming, food processing and energy development economy.
Senior Project Engineer
Umatilla Electric Cooperative, headquartered in Hermiston, Oregon, has an opening for a Senior Project Design Engineer in the Engineering Department. The Project Engineer is responsible for providing cost-effective engineering for electric system construction and maintenance with minimal direction. The position may supervise employees with generally similar skills. Monitoring department work assignments, identifying and resolving issues, discrepancies and conflicts, while ensuring the continual communication of these issues with the department manager. The position will be responsible for performing the surveying, layout, design, and management of complex transmission and distribution line projects and changes to the Cooperative transmission and distribution systems in accordance with approved standard engineering practices, RUS, federal, State, and Cooperative procedures and policies.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university in engineering field, or related technical program. Related training programs and/or experience may be substituted for education.
Experience: Ten (10) years of electric utility experience in system design; additional education in a related field may substitute for experience. Two years of supervision experience is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include other duties as assigned.
• Provides project management for large construction/maintenance projects with minimal direction. Works regularly with consultants and contractors, providing instructions and direction for consulting project managers.
• Surveys, inspects, and reviews completed and closed work orders to ensure projects are completed per design and in accordance with approved practices, procedures, polices, and as required by RUS.
• Maintains current knowledge of the UEC electric system and a thorough knowledge of the UEC approved construction and equipment specifications.
• Provides support and services for internal and external customers as assigned.
• Obtain permits or right-of-way easements for UEC construction projects.
• Ensures proper completion of work package processes after construction is finished, including preparation of as-built designs and other data updates.
• Provides recommendations for designs of new electric plant or improvements to existing electric plant, transmission or distribution lines, with minimal direction. Prepares and presents design drawings and project details for approval as requested.
“This institution is an equal opportunity employer.” M/F/Disability/Veteran.
Come join a growing business in the energy distribution field that is community minded and become part of our proud and successful Utility Management team!
UEC Job Application and Related Materials
UEC’s Online Job Application – Opens as a PDF.
Interested in Cooperative jobs nationwide? Use the below link to view national opportunities.